Tenant information

General Information

Routine property inspections
Routine property inspections generally occur every three months, or not less than four times per year. These inspections are a requirement under most landlord insurance policies and your Property Manager is required to provide a minimum of 48 hours notice, in writing, prior to any inspection. Due to time constraints it is not always possible to alter an inspection time, and your Property Manager is not obligated to do so. You are not required to be present for any inspection however you are most welcome to if you wish to discuss any issues around your tenancy.

Only the people listed on the tenancy agreement are permitted to reside at the property on a permanent basis. If a tenant on the agreement wishes to move out you must notify your Property Manager right away.

Although the landlord is responsible for insurance relating to the property itself, they are not responsible for insurance of the tenant’s possessions. If your belongings become damaged or destroyed by an event affecting the owner’s property (such as fire, storm damage, flooding, power outages, etc) your possessions are not insured by the owner.

For example:

  • An electrical fault in the building starts a fire and the property is destroyed. Your possessions will not be covered by the owners insurance.
  • You are away on holidays and an electrical fault causes a power outage in the building, and you then return home to find your fridge/freezer goods spoilt. The owner’s insurance will not cover your fridge/freezer goods.
  • A storm blows a tree onto the house and in the process, your belongings are damaged. The owners insurance will not cover your possessions.

Therefore we recommend all tenants take out their own contents insurance, as well as rental insurance policy (or liability insurance), that will cover you for any possible damage you or one of your guests may cause to the property.

It is the tenant’s own responsibility to ensure you have set up your utilities accounts (gas, phone, power, internet etc) and these must be under your own name. Remember to close these accounts upon vacating.

Painting, decorating and renovating
If you wish to make any changes to the property including but not limited to decoration, painting or renovation, you must obtain written permission from the Property Manager before any work commences.

Water rates and other outgoings
The process around Water Rates will vary depending on where you live in New Zealand, however, under the Residential Tenancies Act 1986, the tenant is responsible for all metered use based on consumption.
Tenants can also be charged for waste water where the wastewater charge is exclusively attributable to the tenant’s use. A landlord is responsible for outgoings which are incurred regardless of whether the premises
are occupied or not e.g. any fixed charges. If the property is part of a Unit Title Development, and the Body Corporate rules regulate the supply of water amongst the units, then your Property Manager should point this out as well as supply you with a copy of the relevant body corporate rules. A tenant who fails to pay their water charges will be in breach of their agreement (unless their agreement states that water rates are included in the rent) and a Property Manager can issue a 14 days’ notice to remedy the breach. This may result in a Tenancy Tribunal application against your name.

Car parking
Tenants are to park only in their designated areas that form part of their Tenancy. Please ensure that cars are not parked on grass verges or lawns and do not block shared driveways. Cars that are not warranted, registered or running are not permitted to be parked on the premises.

Pets and animals
Pets may only be kept at the property if you have first received written permission from your Property Manager, or it is allowed for by way of a clause in your Tenancy Agreement. Failure to do so will put you in breach of your Tenancy Agreement and could affect your ability to continue living in the property.

If the property you are renting has a fireplace, this cannot be used unless you have been given permission from your Property Manager in writing – a quick email can confirm this for you if you haven’t already been made aware.  This is because some fireplaces are ornamental and may have their flue/chimney blocked in which case using it could cause a house fire or property damage.

Picture hooks
If you wish to install any new picture hooks you will need to seek permission, in writing, from your Property Manager. Picture hooks can cause damage to the walls so if in doubt,the best policy is to always check with your Property Manager first. (Even Blu-Tack can leave an oily residue on a wall which does not disappear with repainting.)